When, Donald Trump, ran, his surprisingly, successful, campaign, in 2015, and 2016, and was, then, elected, President of the United States, he emphasized, his slogan, Make America Great Again. This slogan, has, potentially, a variety of meanings, dependent upon, who, looks at it! Unfortunately, it seems, the focus of the President, was on dividing us, rather than trying to create a meeting – of – the- minds, for the common good, and often, made statements, many perceived as being, divisive, polarizing, prejudiced (against minorities, women, LGBT, etc)! As this is being written, the Presidential election, will be held, tomorrow, and, as we approach it, those of us, who have witnessed, many other elections, are concerned, because of the tone, divisiveness, lying/ distortion, and apparent appeals, to those, I consider, the haters. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 8 protections, which would make us, sane again!
1. Justice equality: Although, our Constitutional guarantees, call – for, equal rights, and protections, we have, recently, witnessed, far too many examples, where this was not the case! Experts state, there are many examples of systemic racism, in this nation! Because of a few, horrific incidents, recently, between the police and public, there is an image, where many feel, the fairness and quality of one’s justice, is, often, related to the color of one’s skin, ethnicity, and socio – economic standing! Both, in its early stage, with police, as well, as throughout, the Judicial aspect, this is, unfortunately, often, the case!
2. Economic opportunities: In 2017, the Congress enacted, a major piece of tax reform, legislation, which, largely, passed, along, party – lines! Although, President Trump, often, proclaimed, the law would mostly benefit, the middle – class, economists and experts, after, a couple of years, inform us, the major beneficiaries of this, so – called, reform, were the wealthiest people, and corporations! In fact, the Income Gap, between our wealthiest, and others, is the largest, in recent memory!
3. Religious Freedom: Our Constitution called for both, religion freedom, as well as Separation of Church, and State. This means, there should be no, religious, litmus – test, of our politicians, but, rather, everyone, should have the right to enjoy their religion, and/ or, be atheist, or agnostic, if that is their preference. This nation is not supposed to be, a Christian State!
4. Sane gun protections/ controls: Instead of making gun safety, a political one, and wrapping themselves, in the 2nd Amendment, the safety, and well – being, of the public, indicates, the need, to have sane, safe, gun protections, and controls, which protect one’s right to own a gun, while demanding, this is done, safely! This is especially, concerning, because, this Amendment, originally, provided, the Right to Bear Arms, but, for the stated reason, to permit states, to organize a militia, to protect against foreign invasions. Our nation and times have changed, but, we haven’t seemed to adapt, effectively!
5. Voting guarantees/ protections: We have often, unfortunately, witnessed, many instances of attempts at voter suppression, but, these have become, more widespread, and pervasive, recently! A saner nation, would emphasize, the right to vote, and having these rights, protected, and guaranteed!
6. Women’s Rights: It took until the early part of the 20th Century, for women, to gain, the right – to – vote, and, much later, in that century, to protect, them, in other ways! To this date, women still don’t receive, the same wages, as men, for equal/ comparable jobs, etc. We recently, are, also, observing, another, apparent attempt, at reversing, the relevant, Women’s Right to Choose!
7. Minority rights: Although, we proudly, point – to, our so – called, equal rights for all, if you believe, minorities, receive these rights, equally, you probably aren’t paying attention!
8. Sane public health leadership: When, the President, refuses to align his messaging, with the public health experts, and the United States, with less than 5% of the world’s population, has experienced, over 20% of the cases, and fatalities, we, obviously, must do better! When, the same individual, diminishes the need to protect our environment, and denies Climate Change dangers, it endangers, the health, safety, and future of our citizens, and future generations!
It’s way, past – due, to Make America Sane Again! Wake up, America, before it’s too late!